1. Read your Bible everyday – make time to read it both in the morning and the evening. Just as our bodies need physical nourishment, the same applies to our souls. Through reading your Bible you can ground yourself in the Christian faith and know God’s divine will for your life.
2. Pray continuously – prayer is so powerful and is the best way to grow your relationship with God. And yes… God does answer our prayers, it may not be immediately and the answer may be a “yes”, “no”, “not yet” or “I have other plans for you”, but in every case He will always answer!
3. Stay pure and flee temptation – 2 Timothy 2:22 says “Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” It’s a tough one and we will struggle with this on a daily basis but we have to remember that the Lord can and will help us if we ask Him!
4. Keep well away from bad influences – remember Psalm 1! 1 Corinthians 15:33 warns: Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”
5. Fellowship with others who call upon God out of a pure heart
6. Be filled with the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22)
7. Put on the whole armour of God so that you may be able to withstand the firey darts of the devil! See Ephesians chapter 6.
8. We CAN be victorious! Romans 8:37 states “Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.” and 1 John 5:4 “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our[a] faith.” and finally 1 Corinthians 15:57 “But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
9. Have faith and trust in God’s sovereign plan for your life. He knows what’s best for you – you don’t. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
10. Be content with your lot in life. 1 Timothy 6:6 says “Now godliness with contentment is great gain.”
11. Know that God’s grace is totally sufficient for you – even in your times of weakness! (2 Cor 12:9).
12. The Lord’s mercies are new every morning… great is His faithfulness! Remember the Lord is our portion, let us put our hope in Him! (Lamentations 3:22-24)
May God bless you abundantly as you strive to walk the narrow way!